10 Reasons you should NOT get into coworking:
10. If you...have a scarcity mentality.
9. If you...can’t deal with autonomy.
8. If you...spell it co-working. It is coworking!
7. If you…think you are going to be the next WeWork, and can’t see past all that funny money.
6. If you...have some old real estate and you just need to fill it and believe that literally any tenant will do.
5. If you ...don’t care about the success and growth of others. Your members are going to grow to be your family and that better matter to you.
4. If you…don’t know how to think creatively. Situations will arise that you have never encountered and never wanted to, you must be ready to think outside the box.
3. If you…think that your Community Manager is a receptionist and NOT a rockstar.
2. If you…don’t understand the term “community” and how powerful it can be to build your business and all your members as well.
1. If you…don’t know how to act as the janitor, CEO, events planner and website designer all at the same time, and all while smiling.
After the last few years of meeting various developers, entrepreneurs and opportunists that think of coworking and only see the dollar signs I have realized that this is not an industry for everyone. It is an amazing industry, one that as a consultant I get to see the ins and the outs, the good and the bad. If your heart is not in it for the right reasons, if you are not passionate about connecting people and making really, really big things happen while being very nimble then this is not for you!
BUT, if you are ready to suck up a rough start, like any business beginning, and want to create something really powerful while helping everyone succeed then go forth and work for a coworking space, run a coworking space and get into this industry. This industry is for the doers, the folks that don’t accept the status quo and for those that understand that it is really, really hard, but oh so worth it.
I love to talk and equally love to write. Here I will share tips and tricks that I have learned along the way.